Friday 10 June 2011

Psychology of Photography

Have you ever taken a picture which seemed to be the best of it's kind? Think again! (I can see you are thinking about it....) Am I right? Yes I am. It is a well known fact that no photo is the best, there is always a better shot. Either waiting to be taken or already snapped, displaying in an National Geographic magazine. It has happened thousand times over and over with me. How do you handle this kind of mental breakdown? Follow my easy, yet not-making-sense steps.

1. Say: "Am I in denial?". Do you think that your shot is that great? Before you think you are the best photographer in the world, look critically your photograph. Pay attention to S-L-N-C. Subject - Lighting - Noise - Composition . And then compare it to a professional's shot.

2. Say: "Shit I do suck".... Admit to have taken a bad shot comparing to others. This may sound a little off the hamster wheel, but trust me, your mind sets new heights for future shots. You'll never be better if your standards don't grow and believe me, you as photographer will grow as well.

3. Say: "I can beat your shot!". Once you have set higher standards for yourself, it is time to think how you are going to look at your shot and think that it is better than the one before.

4. Say: "What needs improvement?". Look again at S-L-N-C. Look where you can improve and set your plans into action!

Remember, not all shots are bad! Some of my best shots are my worst shots... If that makes sense. A memory is the best kind of photo you can have. A memory can be forgotten, but a photo is forever!!  

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews